Tuesday, June 15, 2004

It's a Small World, but a Big Airport (London Heathrow)

It's a Small World, but a Big Airport (London Heathrow)

So here I am, waiting an unseemly amount of time for my connection to South Africa. The DC > London leg of my trip proceeded with syncronicity. First, as I was waiting to enter the gate, the girl in front of me, Ericka, began talking about her time on Semester at Sea last summer (the semester prior to my voyage). Naturally we started talking about SAS, and I discovered that she is a Pitt student, and was headed to Tanzania to do volunteer work for the summer. Very parallel. My seat was behind hers on the flight too..

The woman next to me was an American University PhD student in Political science. (I went to AU as an undergrad.) She had lived in Africa for 10 years, and has an acquaintence at AU who is doing her doctorate on refugee populations! She offered to introduce us when I return, and hopefully that will pan out.

So, here I am mere hours out of the USA, already meeting interesting people. I love the social dynamic of travel.

I also just ate a cheeseburger that was about 1/10th the quality of MacDonalds, for 10x the price. Terrible ROI.

On to my next flight..
David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home