Thursday, June 16, 2005

Lusaka 2005

Thursday, June 16th, 2005

We are leaving for Meheba in a few minutes.

I spent the last 2 days clearing my gear through customs in a collage of activity resembling a Kafka novel. UNHCR had made preparations for me, but unfortunately, not the ones the people at the airport desired. So, after trips to multiple government offices all over Lusaka, forms, stamps, signatures, inspections, meetings and so on, at last my gear is out of the airport. At one point, there was some concern that I would have to leave a deposit equal to the actual value of the items, which would have been impossible, but in the end it was ok. I even have an official Zambian press pass this time around, so it all will be for the best, though I will need to drop everything off at the airport the day before my departure to reverse the process of temporary importation.

The new Forgies are great so far, and I’m excited to work with them this summer. Apparently this year UNHCR is beginning to analyze the Rwandan situation, so I hope to participate in the process.

David Mallin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home