Friday, July 22, 2005

Flexibility

Tuesday June 28th, 2005

Flexibility. That's the ticket.
As we were driving from Lusaka to Meheba I had a moment where I realized, once again, that I was entering a new situation. I have equipment, supplies, film, ideas, and a shot list, but upon arrival, reality would intervene.

Almost 2 weeks later, it has. The Angolan repatriations are nothing compared to last year, and certainly will not provide compelling film to match the video I shot last year. Unfortunate. Some of the heroes of the film are no longer seeming so heroic, and other people are set upon by a variety of other issues that are brand new. The follow up is going to be great, and pretty compelling as a segment of the film. I made the right decision coming back. But nothing is going to be what I expected, except the library.
Zezito may have been stealing from the sports league, or may be a victim of jealousy.
Rachel is dying from AIDS.
Thomas lost his sponsorship to school.

Transport and logistics have put me on "African time" so far - things are moving slowly. They should pick up at the end of this week, as Geno and Brandon arrive, and interviews begin (now that I've tracked people down).

I have done well so far with the still photography project. People are very happy to be getting photos of themselves, and I've taken many great stills already. I've also had good luck with the digital timelapse system. Will provide some extra interesting visuals.

I don't get out of the bush much, but the next time I do, I should have more to report.

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home