Sunday, August 08, 2004

Out of "the Bush"

Today is the first time I've been able to access the internet or a telephone in about 3 weeks. I've come to appreciate the modern conveniences I usually take for granted!

The last few weeks I've pretty much stayed in Meheba full-time. The was a lot going on for us, and it just wasn't worth missing a whole day to get online in Solwezi.

First off, our generator was broken upon my return from Botswana, and never was repaired. So evenings became the domaine of candles, flashlights, and the campfire. Fortunately, I had an inverter to charge my camera batteries and laptop from the van's battery. However, one of the RAM dimms stopped functioning, and Final Cut would no longer run as a result. So it goes.. trying to edit video sitting in a car isn't a realistic option anyway.

I did lots of shooting though. I have about 85 hours of footage, and a few more to gather before I head to Nairobi on the 12th. The library and physical education projects came together. I got to travel to the Cozumbo border point with Angola on a repatriation convey. I went to churches, weddings, and even witch doctors (though I didn't get to shoot much with those - stories for another time). I have interviews with multiple refugees, officials, and of course, Forgies. I have the makings of a good documentary, and some amazing stills.

We just arrived in Lusaka again an hour ago and are awaiting check-in at the hotel. Being back in a developed area makes me realize how dirty I am and how much I smell! Soon the last grime from Meheba will be washed away, but the experience is one I will never forget. I met some great people; people who have led lives I can still barely comprehend, and whose attitudes toward life are amazingly positive given their circumstances.

Soon we can all share Meheba.
David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home