Friday, July 22, 2005

Plans Change

Thursday, July 14th, 2005

There is a joke that goes like this:
Q: "How do you make God laugh?"
A: "Make a plan."

Tomorrow is my last day here in Meheba, and though it's been a good trip, and has definitely added a lot to my film, I really have to say that it didn't turn out to be what I planned for.

Yesterday was a good example. I finally had arranged to ride a UNHCR repatriation convoy. I was - again - only scheduled to go to the Angolan border, but on a different route than last year. (The cross-border pass never worked out, partially because I dropped the issue after discovering the arrival time for the convoys I could ride was hours after dark.) The plan I did make was coming after 2 prior attempts to shoot convoys leaving Meheba that were frustrated by group dynamics. Too many people are competing for 1 vehicle, and we are late everywhere we try to go. Both of the previous times I headed to shoot convoys departing, they were gone by the time I got there. Very frustrating. As our living space on road 26 is about 20 kilometers from the Departure Center, it's also not a simple thing to just get around without transport, especially hauling a shooting kit with you.

Yesterday morning I was ready to go. Bags packed, with a good night sleep under my belt, I awoke at 6:30 to head out. Only... our vehicle was gone. Mwanza, our driver, forgot I was going, and left without me a few minutes before I woke up. We have no communications here, so after a moment's pause, I decided to forgo the overnight part of my trip and grabbed my Aaton bag. I hitched a ride to the departure center, and arrived just in time to see the FORGE van departing, with my traveling companion Matt on board. He had spent the night at the center to meet people before the trip, and somebody stole his backpack, forcing him to forgo the trip and instead deal with the police. At least I got some footage that time around.

Over the last weeks I have done follow-up interviews with Victor, Paul, Brown, Rachel, Sister Caroline, Geno, Zezito, Thomas, as well as some other first time interviews. I shot 19 of my 24 rolls of S16, and I'll probably shoot another 1 or 2 tomorrow before I pack. People definitely have been reacting to the Aaton differently than the video camera, mostly because I can't show them what I'm shooting while I'm shooting, and because it just plain looks more expensive. One person said it reminded him of a RPG, which was a weird feeling.

In any case, many people, especially children, have gotten used to my role as the photographer / journalist in the community. My photo printer has caused a stir. People have truly appreciated being given copies of their photos, especially as they are higher quality than what people usually see from local film labs. At least a few individuals have walked significant distances to come looking for their photos, and others have offered to pay me for them (which I declined, of course). Tracking everyone down is too much effort for the time I have, so the extra photos I've printed are going into the FORGE art center to decorate, and for people to pick up. I'm leaving it behind for Tom to bring back, so other Forgies can make use of it in their extra 2 weeks in Meheba.

Alcoholism is a big problem around here. One drink in particular, Cachasu, is an issue. It's kind of a strong spirit, sometimes enhanced with agricultural fertilizer. I'm bringing it up because our guard was drinking it tonight, and just started shooting his gun, an AK47 I think, at imaginary intruders. Time to go to bed.

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home