Friday, July 22, 2005

Theft in Transit

Now, I'm in Boston, where I am awaiting my flight to San Francisco. It took me 2 hours to get through security with the film, so I missed my original flight. Not only did security here open every can inside my dark bag, but they also swabbed the INSIDE of every tin for explosives, which also had to be done in the bag. Very thurough.

I also went through customs here, where I discovered the bag which was checked in at the last second in Lusaka, and for which I was charged, had several items stolen. My new 9.5mm lens was stolen, as was my entire Nikon D70 outfit, including the pictures from end of my time in Meheba and all of Livingston pictures, none of which had been downloaded to the computer. I did not have a chance to check my other bags, which I had wrapped in plastic before checking them in, but at least $4000.00 worth of equipment is gone, and I'm pretty sure the same people in Lusaka who made me check them stole the stuff, as they saw me pack it in.

It's a poor way to end the trip. The last few days have been a financial disaster for me, and I'm emotionally drained. More details after I return to San Francisco.

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home